9 December 2012

New Sourdough

Now that I'm at home again and have had rather marvellous results with my bread baking lately, I thought I'd try to make a new sourdough starter. I'd found these instructions some time ago and yesterday I started the process.

IMG_1908

Yesterday was Day 1:

2 tbsp unsweetened pineapple juice
2 tbsp sour rye flour

Mixed up in a jar, lid on and left on the window sill in the kitchen.

Today was Day 2 and I left it more than 24 h:

added
2 tbsp unsweetened pineapple juice
2 tbsp sour rye flour

Mixed it in with the stuff from yesterday, closed the lid and put on the window sill again.

I went to my local farm shop to get the fancy flour - the theory is that if it is from a small flour mill, it is more likely to have wild yeasts in it, rather than the mass produced stuff. That is a while ago too, and I hope it will work, the instructions were to get freshly milled flour, but I'm not sure where I can get hold of that.

I'm also not sure what "sour" rye means and the packet isn't too helpful either other than to say it's good for both hand baking and bread machines and also for artisan bread. Fingers crossed, it should take about 2 - 3 weeks to get it ready and I'm already dreading the point in time when I'll have to throw away parts of it. I might just make some soft tunnbröd or knäckebröd and use it up.

Next post.

No comments: