27 February 2008

Müsli bar challenge 1

A couple of days ago Lundulph challenged me to make him a müsli bar based on my own recipe. This in order to skip breakfast at home and beat the traffic on his way to work.

A quick google resulted in the following, extremely tasty creation, that's also probably quite unhealthy.

Ingredients

125 g unsalted butter
3 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp honey
1 litre müsli

Method
  1. Melt the butter on low heat in a fairly large sauce pan.
  2. Add the sugar and honey and stir until they are dissolved.
  3. Leave to simmer for 7 minutes. Do not stir or shake.
  4. In the mean time, line a deep pan with baking paper.
  5. Pour in the müsli mix and stir in well to get everything coated in the sugar/butter mixture.
  6. Cover with another piece of baking paper, then place as much weights on top as possible and leave to cool.



I have two identical deep pans, so I poured the sticky mixture in one and placed the second one on top. I put my big pressure cooker pot inside and filled it with water, along with the second pan. I left it to cool overnight.

This morning I cut the müsli slap with a knife. It was not as sticky as it looked and still fairly soft, so no risk of breaking any teeth. Lundulph said he liked it too, but was worried about the health factor.

So the challenge is not complete yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been searching for a healthy cereal bar recipe too but haven't found one yet. Will let you know if anything comes up!

Fred often has bran muffins for breakfast, these might work for Lundulph too. We use a recipe Fred's mum gave us, they're reasonably low-fat and very versatile, might be worth a try?

Caramella Mou said...

I've been checking out the cereal bars in the health shops and all of them have sugar and honey to keep together. But I'm planning on trying out porrige as binding medium.

Though bran muffins sound like a good idea. If I make them in small cups to be bite size so Lundulph doesn't make crumbles in the car.