Luke, my new sourdough starter is finally ready and very vigorous indeed, so a couple of days ago, I got to work. I originally intended to follow the recipe given along with the starter instructions, but it mentioned proofing in the fridge overnight.
The thing is, the fridge was full of our Christmas dinner, so it was not possible and I decided to stick to what I did with Monty a couple of years ago - the 1:2:3 method. That is 1 part starter with 2 parts water and 3 parts flour.
There was also a bit of luck - I woke up at 6:30, very rare these days, hi, hi. So after a quick breakfast, I weighed Luke and fed him - equal parts starter, water and flour. This resulted in filling up his jar to just about half of it, so given that he expands to triple his size, this wouldn't do at all. So, I split him in two parts, one went on the shelf in the nice and warm livingroom and the other went in the fridge.
And sure enough, 4 h later the starter was already sinking, so I made the dough:
1 part starter - 210 g
2 parts filtered water - 420 g
3 parts strong white flour - 630 g
15 g salt
I mixed up the starter, water and flour in the machine until gluten had developed. Then I added the salt, a little at a time. The dough was really soft and pliable, I ended up adding some more flour in order to be able to work it into a ball.
I then let it rise for 2 h and shaped into 1 loaf of about 800 g and 9 small buns of 50 g each. Then they got to proof for about six and a half hours, at which point the buns were well above the edge (I'd placed them in my muffin tin). So in the pre-heated oven they went and baked for 25 minutes at 200 degrees C.
After the buns, the loaf went in along with it's friend, made out of all the left over starter from the last few days. Both baked for an hour and came out beautiful.
Unfortunately I didn't weigh or measure what I did with my saved up starter. I'd kept it in the fridge, so it was cold and I just worked in some flour until it stopped being sticky. To be on the safe side, I also added 6 g of yeast, a small piece I had in the freezer. I'd thawed it before of course and I dissolved it in a little water, to make it easier to incorporate. I also worked in 8 g salt. Again it was a very nice dough to work with and when it was ready, it weighed just under 650 g. I let this rise for about an hour and a half, then shaped into a loaf and let it proof some more. I didn't really pay attention to the times, but I did make this after I'd shaped the actual sourdough bread.
By this time, Lundulph was home from work and we had a bun each with our salad. Crumb looked very nice and it was all very tasty.