2 dl caster sugar
2 dl plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
0.5 dl milk or single cream
thick, but fairly smooth jam
whipped cream with fresh berries
- Line a shallowish baking tray (approx. 30 x 40 cm) with baking paper. If you're using an electric oven, preheat it at 250 degrees C. If you have hot air option, use that instead and preheat to 200 degrees. For gas ovens, gas mark 6.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugar white and fluffy, with an electric whisk, start on the lowest setting and gradually increase to maximum. The whole should take about 2 minutes.
- Mix the flour and the baking powder, then sift gradually into the egg-sugar mixture and whisk in on the lowest setting.
- Finally add the milk. Just whisk enough to get it incorporated.
- Pour out the mixture onto the tray, level out and make sure the mixture goes into the corners.
- Bake in the middle of the oven. For the electrical - 5 minutes only and keep an eye on it! In hot air/gas, bake for 8 - 10 minutes until it goes golden brown.
- Sprinkle some granulated sugar onto another baking sheet, take out the roll base and flip it onto the sugary paper.
- Immediately remove the paper it baked in. If it's a bit sticky, paint some water with a brush and try again. It'll still be hot and quite flexible, be careful so it doesn't rip.
- If you're using jam or custard as filling, spread it immediately and roll it up, place it so the edge is hidden at the bottom. Don't make too thick a spread or it'll be awkward to roll up. If you're using whipped cream, the bottom must be cold, so the cream doesn't melt. So cover the base with a tea towel and leave to cool.