21 September 2006

Baked Potatoes with Mexican Style Topping

Every now and then I buy the Old El Paso Taco box, it's fun, makes a TV-Friday a bit more special and it doesn't quite qualify as unhealthy fast food - I chop lots of vegetables to stuff with and that takes time.

The box contains the taco shells and a bag or two of seasoning and has instructions on how to eat tacos. But they never tell you what to do with that seasoning! So I save the bags and use them for my Mexican style topping for baked potatoes.

I'm quite proud of it, because I invented it myself. Most other things I cook are mainly from my Mum or a book. First put the potatoes to bake, then make the topping


The Potatoes

A bag of baking potatoes - about 8 or 9 potatoes. Scrub well, then wrap each in aluminium foil and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 210 degrees C. Then take them out, remove the foil and put them back in to make the skins crispy. No need for any oil.


The Topping

500 ml creme fraiche
3 tbsp mayonaise
1 packet seasoning from the taco box
2 cans (200 g) tuna in spring water
1 can (326 g) sweetcorn
1 can (400 g) red kidney beans
1 orange bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 red onion

  1. Cut the peppers and onion finely.
  2. Mix all ingredients and leave to stand in the fridge while the potatoes are baking.

No comments: