22 January 2020

Green Omelette

In the past few years, I've been able to go and visit my parents in Sweden several times per year and they very kindly collect recipes, which might be interesting, so I always bring home a thick bundle of paper. Lately, I've started to go through the bundles before going back, weeding out the ones that don't appeal. This recipe is from last January.

Ingredients
Serves 3 - 4

5 large eggs
2 handfuls of baby spinach
½ water or milk
½ tsp salt
½ milled black pepper
small fresh chilli(optional)
2 salad onions
15 g butter
1 - 2 sprigs fresh basil
2 dl cottage cheese (optional)
1 ripe avocado
½ dl pumpkin seeds

Method

  1. Blend together the eggs, half of the spinach, water/milk, salt, pepper and chilli with a hand-held blender.
  2. Trim and wash the onions. Heat up the butter and fry the onions and the remaining spinach for a couple of minutes.
  3. Turn down the heat to medium and pour in the egg mixture, then cover the pan and fry until it's set.
  4. Halve the avocado, peel it and dice. Shred the basil.
  5. When the omelette is ready cut into portions and transfer each to a plate. Sprinkle the avocado, cottage cheese, basil and pumpkin seeds and serve straight away.

This is a really nice "middle of the week" freshly cooked meal and probably works for lunch as well as dinner. I've made this twice now, the first time with water and the second time with milk and I didn't notice much difference between the two. Obviously I skipped the cottage cheese, since Lundulph doesn't eat that and also I've managed to stock up on feta cheese lately, so I'm working my way through that. It would probably work as a topping as well, now that I think about it.

One very important note, mostly for myself is that I should use my cast iron pan for this. Depending on the size of the pan, this is quite a thick omelette, almost like a frittata, so takes a while to cook through. I used the cast iron pan for the first omelette as I thought it would be the larger one. On the induction hob, it heated up very evenly and although it took quite some time to get the full omelette cooked through, it didn't burn. However, as I established, it is the same size as my teflon pan, so for the second omelette, I used that instead because it has a lid. My teflon pan doesn't have a full steel base,so tends to heat up quite unevenly on the induction hob and thus things invariably burn here and there, as happened this time. But with a lid on, the omelette cooked a lot quicker, since the heat was kept in. I'll need to work out a lid for my cast iron pan. And the teflon one should perhaps be disposed of, I don't use it very often, so it doesn't matter much, but still, I was surprised what a difference that made.

Lundulph quite liked it, especially now that he's on a super healthy streak after the holidays and also is trying to go a bit more plant-strong in his food intake, this dish hits the spot. Sadly, I missed the photo opportunity on both occasions.

No comments: