16 February 2012

Alla Hjärtans Dag

Yes, it is Valentine's Day, in Swedish the day translates to "the day of all hearts". And on a recent trip to our local mall, I spotted these adorable pink heart-shaped sprinkles and couldn't stop myself from buying them. Pathetic, I know.

IMG_1440cropped

Since the chocolate muffins I made for the cookie monster cup cakes were so fluffy and light and moist and generally extremely tasty, I decided to make them again, but a double dose this time, as I planned to take some to work. You see, my colleague, Long Tall Sally, keeps grumbling occasionally over that I didn't bring any of the cookie monsters to work.

The muffin recipe is here. From the double dose I got 28.

For the topping, I had some mascarpone left over and wanted to use it up, so I searched for suggestions on the vast source of inspiration that is the Internet and found this recipe that seemed very appealing.

I still ended up buying another packet of mascarpone and as I was taking the cupcakes to work, I decided against the madeira.

Ingredients

250 g mascarpone cheese
40 g icing sugar
190 ml whipping cream

Method
  1. Whisk together the mascarpone and icing sugar until it is soft.

  2. In a separate bowl, whip the cream to medium peaks.

  3. Stir together carefully until well incorporated.

  4. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge until needed.


Once the muffins were ready and completely cooled down, I piped as much cream as I dared. The above amount was actually just right.

The mistake I made was to sprinkle the little hearts immediately afterwards. By the morning they had soaked up some moisture from the cream and had started dissolving. Such a beginner's mistake to make.

IMG_1443

Then came another problem - transportation. My friend Patsy has invested in a special carrying box, but there was no way I could borrow it now. Gah! So out with all ice cream boxes and then fit in as many as possible without destroying them. I managed to take 14 with me to work and they certainly seemed popular, despite they were pink and dissolved. In fact, Long Tall Sally asked to take all of them.

As always, my piping capabilities leave a lot to be desired, but the mascarpone cream was fantastic and combined very well with the muffins. Definitely a repeat treat.

No comments: