16 January 2012

My first cupcakes

Finally the time was ripe for me to try my hand at cupcakes, I had all the ingredients and all the tools and spent a lovely Sunday afternoon making and decorating. I see the attraction and I can very easily see myself investing in a full kit of tools for sugarcraft. Must be careful.


I spotted the inspiration for these here. Sadly no recipes were provided, so I had to find these elsewhere.
For the basic muffins, I chose a recipe from the BBC.

Chocolate Muffins, 12-13 pcs

140 g plain flour
30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp cold water
60 g unsalted butter at room temperature
225 g granulated sugar
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
160 ml semi-skimmed milk


  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a muffin tin with paper cases of 5 cm diameter at the bottom. Or a flat baking sheet, but place each paper case into 2 aluminium cases, to ensure they don't sprawl out sideways, but bake upwards.

  2. Mix together flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt well, then sift to get airy and remove lumps and set aside.

  3. In a glass, mix together the instant coffee and water.

  4. Whisk together the butter and sugar until well combined. Then add the eggs, one at a time and whisk in well.

  5. Add the coffee, followed by the vanilla extract and half of the dry mixture.

  6. Pour in the milk and incorporate and add the remainder of the dry mixture. The batter should be quite runny and feel and taste a bit like Angel Delight.

  7. Pour into the paper cases, up to about 1 cm from the top edge.

  8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, check with a toothpick after 20 minutes for readiness - the toothpick should come out clean.

  9. Take out and let cool for 10 - 25 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. They will still remain fairly soft.

One thing I did decide to skimp on was the cookies themselves. I decided to buy ready ones and this proved to be difficult in Sweden, at least in the shops where I looked. I bought what seemed to come nearest, but as it turned out, it didn't work either.

Then the next new thing of the day - buttercream. Again I picked a BBC recipe for this and I made 2 batches, one on 140 g and one on 150 g (the remainder of the butter as it happened).


140 g/150 g unsalted butter at room temperature
280 g/300 g icing sugar
1 tbsp milk (both full and semi-skimmed work)
food colouring of choice


Carefully stir together butter and icing sugar with a fork/spoon/spatula.
Add the milk when almost all of the sugar has been incorporated and add the colouring until the right hue is achieved.
Keep covered if not using straight away and even refrigerate if not using on the same day. It will need to be brought up to room temperature and stirred to soften up again then.


To achieve the muppet effect, piping tip #233 is required. Luckily my friend Patsy has recently fallen for the sugarcraft bug and purchased every tool under the sun and she was kind enough to lend it to me. It is normally used to create grass effects and this is what it looks like:


I had trouble finding white chocolate buttons for the eyes in the shops, so I got giant Milkybar buttons, but there are specialist shops that do sell these in Sweden.

For colour, I used 3 tiny tubes of liquid blue colour for egg painting. I think each was about 3 ml or so. I ended up with turquoise, so I also added a pill-sized capsule of powdered egg paint, which did the trick. All these purchased in Bulgaria and were so good, that I'll buy more at the next opportunity. I suspect regular food colour will do just as well. I coloured in the smaller of the two batches of buttercream. The bigger one, I left as was.

For the pupils, I used black icing from a tube left over from the gingersnap decorations a few weeks ago.

Starting with the cooled down muffins,
IMG_1413 IMG_1417
I first used about a tbsp of the uncoloured buttercream to create a mound on each muffin. Also I noticed that the buttercream wasn't too keen on sticking to the muffin surface, so this will help in getting the blue stuff to stick. Careful, though, it's tasty but very unhealthy, so don't overdo it!

Then, cut a slot for the cookie and stick it into the muffin.
No, no, no. This deformed the muffin. Way too big, way too thick. Anyway, on with the piping. Start at the outer edge and work around in a spiral into the middle, working around the cookie of course. Then, take two white chocolate buttons, squirt out two blobs for the pupils and stick the eyes into the muffin.
Gah, his jaw is about to fall out, no wonder he's cross-eyed!

What to do, what to do? Try using some pink chocolate buttons?
The whole crowd
Ha, they look a bit like Grover.

As my Mum was milling around trying to see if she could dig out some long forgotten biscuits of a suitable size and thickness, it struck me - wafers!

Mum quickly got out a small cookie cutter and went to work on the wafers and lo and behold, they were perfect - the diameter was about 3 cm and thickness was 3 mm.
Most of the 13 cupcakes ended up with a nice thin wafer in their mouth.

The buttercream hardened up pretty quickly. I had about 1 dl left over from the blue buttercream and about 0.5 dl of the uncoloured one. Around this point, my Dad asked if it would be possible to make Kermit, Statler & Waldorf, which are his favourites. Probably it is possible, they aren't as fuzzy, so I'd need to use a different technique for them. A project for the future for sure.

The Sunday finished rather late, but was extremely satisfying.

No comments: