23 November 2008

A Light Saturday Dinner

I've come to realise that making soup is quite a hit and miss business for me. I do like soup, but I don't seem to have the knack for it and so about 50% of the soups I make are barely edible and on those occasions I end up eating them myself. But the other 50% of them work out pretty well. Last night was a good one. Remember the cabbage I baked the other day? I saved all the liquid I used for boiling the cabbage and used it as follows:

Ingredients

3 tbsp grape seed oil
1 large onion
6 dl cabbage stock
6 dl water
1 tsp vegeta spice mixture
5 medium sized potatoes
2 large carrots
1 yellow pepper
10 okra fingers
2 tbsp dried savory
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
black pepper

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick saucepan.
  2. Peel and dice the onion and fry in the oil until translucent.
  3. Add the cabbage stock, water and vegeta and bring to the boil on medium-low heat.
  4. Wash and if needed peel the potatoes, then cut into strips and add to the soup.
  5. Wash and peel the carrots and cut in strips and add to the soup.
  6. Wash the pepper and remove the seeds, wash the okra and remove the stalks.
  7. Cut the pepper into strips and the okra into small chunks and add to the soup
  8. Let simmer for another 5 minutes


  9. IMG_4078

    Lundulph had a couple of pork sausages left over from a grilling spree and I put them in as well, to heat them through. This turned out rather tasty. Very quick as well, I used my alligator chopper for the onion, potatoes and carrots, brilliant if you want everything in julienne strips. I think some tomato might have been nice as well, but I couldn't be bothered.

No comments: