25 November 2014

Curried Aubergine and Potato Pie

I've been rummaging through my recipe collection for ideas on what to do this Christmas and so I came across a small book which I received as a farewell gift when I left a previous job some years back. It's the Good Food 101 Hot& Spicy Dishes book and it has quite a few interesting things in it, I've just not tried any of them yet.

IMG_4449

But since Lundulph's vegeterian week challenge, the following recipe took my fancy, especially since I know that Lundulph loves aubergines.

Ingredients

1 kg waxy potatoes
1 large onion
1 large clove garlic
3 medium sized aubergines
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp curry powder
1 can of chopped tomatoes (400 g)
1 dl water
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 can of chick peas (400 g)
salt and pepper to taste
butter

Method

  1. Wash and if necessary peel the potatoes, then cut into bite-sized chunks and steam/boil until soft.
  2. Peel the onion and garlic and chop finely.
  3. Trim and wash the aubergines, then cut into chunks of about the same size as the potatoes.
  4. Heat up the olive oil and fry the onion and garlic gently until transluscent.
  5. Add the aubergines and fry for about 8 - 10 minutes until they start going soft.
  6. Stir in the curry powder and fry for a further minute or so, while stirring constantly.
  7. Add the chopped tomatoes, use the water to rinse off the can. Also add the tomato puree and chick peas and cook for a couple of more minutes.
  8. Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C fan and grease a deep oven proof dish.
  9. Transfer the aubergine mixture to the dish, then add the potatoes on top, covering the aubergines.
    IMG_4446
  10. Cut very thin slices of butter and place over the potatoes here and there.
  11. Bake for 35 minutes, until the potatoes go golden brown and crunchy.
The recipe is lovely as it is, though I wouldn't call it hot and spicy. Perhaps if I'd used hot curry powder possibly, but currently I have medium. So next time, I'll add more curry powder and also swap the tomato purée for harissa or chipotle paste. Possibly some mushrooms wouldn't go awry either, but there is a risk of ending up with a baked ratatouille. Lundulph certainly enjoyed it as did I. It works both as a main dish and as side with meat.

No comments: