8 July 2012

Sega Chokladmuffins

While searching for a suitable recipe for my bake-off cup cakes, I also came across another recipe, which combines the concept of a muffin with that of so called chocolate mud cake, or Kladdkaka in Swedish. Which I thought was a fabulous idea. The Swedish name means literally "gooey cake".

IMG_1587

I haven't made this since university for the simple reason that last time I made it, it was so sticky we ended up throwing away the tray we baked it in, after carving out as much as we could of course.

The name of the recipe I did on Thursday is Sega Chokladmuffins, which roughly translates to "chewy chocolate muffins". The original recipe in Swedish is here and what caught my attention was the photo - they looked very beautiful.

Makes 8 - 14, depending on size

Ingredients

2 medium eggs
2.5 dl caster sugar
100 g unsalted melted butter
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1 ml salt
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 dl plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Method
  1. Line a muffin tin with paper cases, or place double paper cases on a flat baking sheet and pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C.

  2. Whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.

  3. Slowly add the melted butter, while still beating the mixture. Make sure the butter is about finger warmth.

  4. Follow up with the vanilla extract, still whisking.

  5. In a separate bowl, sift together salt, cocoa powder, flour and baking powder and make sure they are well blended.

  6. Whisk in the dry mixture until well incorporated.

  7. Fill the paper cases to about two-thirds and bake for 12 - 20 minutes, but not until fully baked!

  8. Take out of the oven and let cool completely. The muffins will sink back as they cool, possibly also their surface will crack up, that's as it should be.


These can be eaten as is or with a dollop of whipped cream (without sugar!). They can also be rather nice if warmed up a little and with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

IMG_1586

I didn't bake mine for long enough. The recipe was very strict on the duration - 12 minutes precisely, but I left them in for 18 minutes and they could have baked a few more minutes, they were a bit too gooey for me. Lundulph of course had nothing bad to say about them.

They also weren't as sweet as I expected them to be. Don't get me wrong, they were very sweet, but I expected more. I might dig out that old recipe and try it in cup cake form, that was definitely sweet to the point where the tongue would stick to the roof of the mouth. That's why it's so important not to add any sugar to the whipped cream, if serving with it.

No comments: