19 June 2012

Frittata

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a dead end, cooking-wise. No inspiration, no ideas, nothing.

So I dug out my old "things to cook in 20xx" lists and looked through them, to see if there was anything there that might loosen the blockage.

Of course I could have opted for the Ye Olde Recipe Collection, but that would have meant having to go out and buy ingredients and I have become a bit house bound of late as well. The rain has of course contributed to this.

So, frittata was on the cards. Sadly, I had only listed it, without any accompanying research and appropriate recipe links. So I googled the term and looked up the 3 - 4 links that came up on top. Pretty pictures, I must say, very mouth-watering. But once I started reading, I began to realise that it is not as simple as I had thought.

I opted to pick out bits and bobs from different recipes and of course this massively affected the end result. Besides, I wanted to use some of that smoked paprika I bought some time ago.

I already had some boiled potatoes, so I just sliced them. Probably about 300 g.
I then fished out the last onion that was hiding at the back of the veg drawer in the fridge (what was it doing there?!?) and sliced it in what I thought would look pretty.

I then heated up a little oil and put the onion in to soften a bit.

In the mean time, I whisked together 5 eggs + a left-over egg white with a little salt, pepper, smoked paprika and chopped parsley.

I then tried to stir in the potato slices without breaking them up too much and when the onions were ready, I did the same with them without much success.

So I put the pan back on the hob and poured out the whole lot. As expected the potatoes and onions were too big and sort of stuck up from the pan, while the egg kept to the very bottom of it.

I tried to fold up the edges over the middle to give it a nicer shape, but that didn't work either, instead the omelette just broke up, so I gave up and stirred around to make sure everything raw got cooked and everything cold got warmed through.

IMG_1552

Not appetising one bit. So to be on the safe side, I fried up some good old Swedish meatballs and sliced some roast pepper for garnish.

IMG_1553

This would have worked a treat, if I hadn't been overly careful with the seasoning of my "frittata".

I don't know what's gotten into me, but I seem less able than normal to add a sufficient amount of salt in my food lately. I've always been careful with that, but what I'm doing now is ridiculous.

I'm not sure I will want to try this out again, at least not any time soon, even if I like frittata.

No comments: