31 March 2012

Last of the lamb

I'm sad to say that last week-end we used up the final bits of the lamb I bought just before Christmas. Where did it all go?

But Lundulph was coming to Sweden, so I thought we could make something rather festive. The bit that was left was the saddle and it didn't look like it would be enough for 5 people, so my Mum also dug out a steak of some sort.

I decided to make an old but very tasty recipe.

But being part of Ye Olde Recipe Collection, it had some very shop-specific ingredients, that I was not able to get hold of. Like Chinese Five Spice Paste.

So I researched it on the internet a bit and found out the ingredients. Based on that, I looked around for recipes for the paste and found many useful suggestions. Basically start with Chinese Five Spice dry mixture and mix with some wet ingredients into a paste. I managed to get hold of a jar ready mixed at the English Shop in Stockholm. Yes, there really is such a thing!

Chinese Five Spice paste
Ingredients
4 tsp Chinese Five Spice powder
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1.5 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp rapeseed oil
4 tbsp tomato puree

Method
Carefully mix all the ingredients the night before the paste is needed. Cover and keep refrigerated. The above makes about 1 dl. Then just follow the recipe. This way you can be a bit more generous when coating the lamb too.

No comments: