4 November 2009

Sourdough Stage 2

It has now been 48 h since I mixed up my sourdough starter and time for the first feed. This is what it looked like when I took it out:

IMG_0222

It had gone a bit dark like the book said and there were slow moving/popping bubbles too. I'm not sure if it smelt entirely correctly, there was a definite hint of alcohol, but not as sharp as I'd expected and there was a sweetness to the aroma that was like something going off. Hmmmm.

Anyway, the first feed uses all of the ferment from stage 1. To this I added

310 g strong white flour
150 g warm water

And stirred everything as well as I could until I couldn't see any dry flour. The mixture is now a bit thicker than the original.

IMG_0223

It will now rest for another 24 h an the book says not to let the temperature go below 24 degrees C, which won't be possible. Now that there have been a couple of cold nights, the whole house is colder and the kitchen is about 20. I also wonder if spelt flour has a higher content of wild yeasts relative to white flour. We'll see.

I'll have to work out something regarding the temperature, in order to be able to follow the next stage. I might have to put the bowl on the radiator...

No comments: