27 May 2009

Oeufs en Cocotte

Once again Angi of Rice and Wheat has been my inspiration when she made oeufs en cocotte. I've seen this before, but never really given it much thought and it sounded very easy to make.

Besides, a couple of weeks ago, I boiled a couple of eggs for breakfast, but sadly overdid them and we couldn't dip in the runny yolk. This method seemed a bit more easy to control.

IMG_0003

So I buttered the ramekins, cracked an egg in each, poured a little bit of milk, sprinkled salt, pepper, paprika, sage and thyme and put in a few small pieces of reindeer salami that I bought during a recent visit to IKEA. And into the oven for 10 minutes. Well, at that point, there was a lot of still transparent egg white, so I left them in for another 10 minutes. Now they seemed to be ready and Lundulph and I sat down with our buttered bread sliced into strips - soldiers he calls them.

And still the eggs were way too runny. Another 8 minutes and the whites were at a good stage, but the yolks had gone a bit hard.

So I thought I'd look up what Delia had to say about it. She'd decorated with asparagus tips, so that's a thing to try. But mainly she recommends a bain marie in the oven for these, this will give a quicker heat transfer, but hopefully also ensure that the yolk remains runny.

Overall, it was very tasty and a definite repeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should look out for egg coddlers, they're very good for this dish. I got mine from eBay but they often turn up in charity shops too, I'll pick one up for you if I spot any.

angi said...

Oh yay, Caramella! You gave these a try!! Hmm, I wonder if the temperature of the eggs make a difference? I usually let the eggs sit out at room temperature for a while before I pop them in the oven. Sometimes, if I forget, I would let them soak in a bowl of warm water to warm them up first. But you're right, a water bath should also work quite well. :)