30 March 2009

Aromatic Asian Steak

With sweet and sour cucumber salad.

IMG_4168

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I have a large number of recipes that I haven't tried.

I decided to start getting through all the recipe cards I tend to pick up every time I go to Waitrose. I laid my collection on the worktop and asked Lundulph to choose. He picked out two, the first of which is the title of this post.

I wandered down to the butcher on Saturday morning and got a nice piece of sirloin steak. It was just over 1 kg - given the amount of fat on it, I thought this would result in a doubling of the recipe.

To be on the safe side, I trebled the marinade. I had to swap out the lime juice for lemon juice, I had all other ingredients.

I took off most of the fat from the steak and put it out for the foxes. Then I sliced it into three 2 cm thick steaks. I'm not sure how it was supposed to be cut, it wasn't too clear from the photo on the Waitrose web site. I put the pieces to marinate in the morning on Sunday, so they had some 8 h to marinade.

Unfortunately, I made the salad shortly after I'd put the meat to marinade. That was sort of implied in the instructions, but since radishes were involved, they leached red colour everywhere, which is why the salad looks so manky.

I browned the steaks briefly on hot, turning several times every 30 - 40 s or so, then put in the oven along with all the marinade for 11 minutes. The marinade formed a thick sauce that mostly covered the steaks.

I boiled white basmati rice to go with it and we had a nice Georges Duboeuf Fleury from 2006, which, as Lundlulph put it, had passed it's Ribena stage and tasted like proper wine.

Overall, I think I put in too much honey, because the steak was a bit on the sweet side for me. But the whole reminded me of Mrs W's Lamb Kebabs, which I tried out last Summer.

We ate one of the steaks yesterday. One is in the fridge for Wednesday and one is in the freezer for later on in the year.

No comments: