1 tbsp plain flour
0.5 dl milk
3 large eggs
1 tsp caster sugar
1 pinch of salt (optional)
2 dl milk
9 - 10 slices of white bread
grapeseed oil for frying
- Stir in the flour in the half decilitre milk, then whisk in the eggs, sugar and salt. This should be done in a bowl big enough to dip your bread slices.
- Put the rest of the milk in another bowl.
- Brush a little oil on a flat frying pan and heat up on low medium heat.
- Dip a slice of bread briefly in the milk, then in the egg batter and fry for 1 - 2 minutes until golden brown, then turn and fry for another 1 - 2 minutes.
- Take out on a plate and spread a little caster sugar on top.
- Do the other slices, remember to brush with more oil every now and then, or the toasts will burn.
We had ours with jam - white cherry that my Mum made last year, my quince jam and my blackberry jam. They can also be served with just caster sugar and a little bit of ground cinnamon.
In Sweden and Bulgaria at least, the idea with this dish is to use up bread that has gone a bit stale. We don't have any stale bread as we slice and freeze ours, so I bought a small loaf of thickly sliced bread from the shop. It was very soft and fresh and worked just as well.