So I made kavarma (stress on the last of the a's). Or "Каварма" in Bulgarian. And in the way they do it in Koprivshtitza (Копривщица), according to wikipedia. Basically it's a gyuvetch - but with salami. And the Koprivshtitza style is to crack an egg on top.
Today's ingredients were
4 cloves of garlic
0.5 dl grapeseed oil
3 tbsp water
1 kg potatoes
3 tbsp sweet paprika
1 dl water
5 smallish carrots
3 green peppers
3 handfuls of green beans
250 g fresh chestnut mushrooms
2.5 French sausages
4.5 dl water
1 can (400 g) tomatoes
What I did:
- Peeled the onions, potatoes, carrots and courgettes. Cut all up fairly small.
- Cleaned the peppers and beans and diced. Peeled the mushrooms.
- Placed the oil in a large non-stick pan, added the water, onions and pressed in the garlic.
- Fried on medium heat, added the potatoes half way through and fried, stirring every few minutes, until the potatoes started changing colour as they were taking up the fat.
- Added the paprika and about a dl of water and stirred in well to get the paprika to dissolve, then turned off the hob.
- In my 9 fancy clay pots, I put 4 - 5 mushrooms in the bottom, then about a handful each of carrots, courgettes, beans and peppers.
- Added also salt, pepper, thyme and dill and stirred to get a bit of a mix.
- Sliced the sausages, about a third of a cm thick and put 4 - 5 in each clay pot.
- Divided up the potato/onion mix between them, added a bit more salt and pepper and 0.5 dl water.
- Put the lids on and placed in the oven and turned it on on gas mark 2 (130 degrees C) for about 15 minutes, then increased to gas mark 4 (170 degrees C) for another 5 minutes, then increased again to gas mark 5 (190 degrees C) and left to cook for 30 minutes.
- Then swapped the pots around, as I had to place them in two levels in the oven.
- In the mean time, I liquidised the can of tomatoes along with savory, parsley and mint.
- After a further 30 minutes, I took out the pots, distributed the tomato/herb mixture as evenly as possible, stirred as well as I could, then cracked an egg over each pot. Replaced the lid and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.