This is another traditional Bulgarian dish. I eat it as a main course, but I think it's best served as a side dish with some sort of meat or perhaps salmon.
0.5 dl grapeseed oil
5 medium sized onions
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
4 dl rice (pudding or arborio)
6 dl water
5 medium sized courgettes
salt, black pepper, dill
500 g strong Cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and dice the onions and the courgettes. Peel the garlic cloves and press them.
- Heat up the oil and fry the onions and garlic until they go translucent.
- Add the rice and stir in to get the grains covered in the oil, then add the water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until most of the water has been taken up, then add the courgettes, stirring from time to time.
- When the courgettes begin to soften, add salt, pepper and dill and stir in well.
- Transfer to an oven safe dish, then spread the cheese on top. Bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven at gas mark 6 (200 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, until the cheese goes golden brown and crispy.