27 May 2007

Barbecue

Well, yesterday was barbecue day. Yes it was cold and rained most of the day, but a decision had been made and tools and materials had been purchased. So we had a barbie and we had luck with our timing in that the rain stopped just at the crucial time. A hot tip from our friend Wombat is to cook all the food and keep it warm in the oven. Then when everything is done, lay it out and let everyone help themselves.

A miscalculation from last year on hamburgers taught us a valuable lesson and I decided to just do the Bulgarian meatball mix, but after a consultation with my Mum, she recommended skipping the bread and egg as it would make the meat stick to the grill. Then my Dad scanned in some recipes from the Swedish Lidl and emailed to me and I thought I'd give one of them a go - Cevapcici. Or kebapcheta (кебапчета), as you'd say in Bulgaria. And I added a couple of things to the recipe and almost all went very quickly. Looking at the recipe it's for 4 people, but that would be if these 4 people only ate the kebapcheta and nothing else...

Ingredients

4 medium sized onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 kg minced meat
4 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
1 dl mineral water
salt and pepper to taste


Method
  1. Peel and chop the onions finely, even run them through a food processor if you have one, along with the garlic.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Leave overnight to allow the flavours to come out, but this is not necessary.
  3. Form small sausages and either shallow fry or barbecue.

I added the coriander and cumin. I also thought to speed things up a bit, I made fairly long sausages and put them on bamboo skewers, but this wasn't a good idea at all, as they disintegrated a bit on the barbecue and ended up into smaller sausages anyway. But they were very tasty, we had them in hot dog buns with mustard and ketchup.

No comments: