28 April 2007

Risotto

The other day I finally got round to making risotto. I really like it, despite the slightly below average ones I used to get at school. It's difficult to go wrong with a risotto, I think.


Ingredients

1 packet of dried chanterelles (about a handful)
3 dl brown rice
3 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 small onions
½ can of sweet corn (300 g can)
1 can of whole button mushrooms (400 g)
3 handfulls of frozen garden peas
1 knob of butter (about a heaped tbsp)
salt, dill

Method
  1. Wash the dried chanterelles in warm water. Boil up enough to cover them and leave to soak for about 30 minutes.
  2. I use easy cook brown rice which takes 30 minutes. So in the mean time, I put the rice to boil.
  3. Peel and dice the onions, drain the sweet corn and button mushrooms. Quarter the mushrooms.
  4. Once the chanterelles are done soaking, cut into smaller pieces if they are large.
  5. Heat up the grapeseed oil and fry the onions until translucent.
  6. Add the mushrooms and chantrelles and leave to fry for 10 minutes, stirring.
  7. Add the sweet corn and the peas and fry for another 5 minutes until everything is heated through.
  8. Add the butter, salt and dill. Stir until the butter is fully melted. Remember to add a bit more salt than seems enough, as the rice will dilute the flavour.
  9. Drain the rice, then add the fried vegetables and stir to mix evenly.
At step 9 I remembered that I actually have a whole packet of risotto rice. I'll try to remember it for next time and use that instead. A thing to do would be to use vegetable stock instead of pure water and add only a little at a time and stir, until the rice is done.

Anyway, it was very tasty indeed. Lundulph also added black pepper, but I think it was nice with just salt and dill.

No comments: