2 large aubergines
1 - 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 medium sized onions
3 - 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
1.5 tbsp sweet paprika
1 - 3 dl water
500 g potatoes
2 medium sized carrots
500 g minced meat
1 x 400 g can tomatoes
salt, black pepper, parsley and savoury
- Wash and slice the aubergines, about 1 cm thick, then fry them lightly in a little bit of oil. Best is to just brush the pan between rounds. Then put aside.
- Peel and dice the onions. Peel and dice the potatoes, about 1 cm cubes. Peel and cut the carrots finely - I normally slice it first about 3 mm thick, then quarter the slices.
- Fry the onions in the oil. When they turn translucent, add the paprika and stir quickly for about 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and stir well. Pour 1 dl water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and stir in.
- When the vegetables begin to soften, add the minced meat and stir in well, until it has browned.
- If it seems a bit dry, pour in 1 - 2 dl water and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Now add the tomatoes - either crushed or blended. Also add the salt, pepper, parsley and savoury.
- Leave to simmer and in the mean time, line an oven-safe dish with half of the aubergines.
- Take the mince mix off the heat and turn over to the dish. Cover with the remaining aubergines.
- Bake in the oven. Start at gas mark 6 (200 degrees C) and when it starts bubbling, reduce the heat to gas mark 4 (175 degrees C) and leave to cook for 45 - 60 minutes.
- Now prepare the topping
3 tbsp grapeseed oil
3 tbsp plain flour
3 - 4 dl milk
grated cheese or feta cheese (optional)
- Heat up the oil and add the flour, stirring quickly.
- Slowly add the milk, still stirring it in.
- When all the milk has been incorporated, take off the heat. The consistency should be of a custard cream.
- Leave to cool a bit, then whisk in the eggs and the optional cheese. If needed add also salt.
- When the moussaka has finished baking, take it out and cover with the topping, then put back in the oven, turn up the heat to gas mark 9 (250 degrees C) until it gets golden in colour.