8 March 2007

Bip's Fruit Sponge Cake

Going to a party this week-end and everyone is supposed to bring a dish. I'm bringing a vegetarian casserole (recipe tomorrow) and a sponge cake.



This is one that my sister Bip told me a few years ago, when she cake to visit, it's super easy and is good with any fruit you have at hand. I've done it with blackberry today, but bananas are very good and it would definitely be nice with pineapples as well. The amounts below result in a very large cake which fits perfectly in my large cake tin, but for everyday use I recommend half of everything.

Ingredients

4 large eggs
4 dl caster sugar
4 dl plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
500 ml blackberries
unsalted butter

Method
  1. Line the cake tin with baking paper.
  2. Whisk the eggs and sugar into a white fluffy froth.
  3. In a separate bowl, blend the flour and baking powder well. Or use self-raising flour, I personally don't see the point of it.
  4. While continuing to whisk the egg mixture, add the flour a bit at a time into a nice smooth cake mixture.
  5. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 (or 200 degrees C for electrical ovens). Pour the mixture into the tin. It should only fill about one third of it.
  6. Now cover the surface with berries, it's really up to you how much fruit you use. The fruit will sink in a bit as the cake bakes.
  7. Now with a cheese slicer, cut thin slices of butter and cover the cake surface.
  8. Place in the oven and bake until ready. This size takes about 1 h 30 minutes. Test with a skewer - when it comes out clean after sticking it in in the middle, the cake is done.
  9. I plan to serve it with custard.

As I mention above, I don't like the self-raising flour, it feels like you don't have any control over it and so I'm suspicious and don't buy it. With just plain flour it can be used to thicken soups or when needed make sponge cakes by adding baking powder, I think it's more versatile. But don't let that stop you.

No comments: