But since Lundulph's vegeterian week challenge, the following recipe took my fancy, especially since I know that Lundulph loves aubergines.
1 kg waxy potatoes
1 large onion
1 large clove garlic
3 medium sized aubergines
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp curry powder
1 can of chopped tomatoes (400 g)
1 dl water
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 can of chick peas (400 g)
salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and if necessary peel the potatoes, then cut into bite-sized chunks and steam/boil until soft.
- Peel the onion and garlic and chop finely.
- Trim and wash the aubergines, then cut into chunks of about the same size as the potatoes.
- Heat up the olive oil and fry the onion and garlic gently until transluscent.
- Add the aubergines and fry for about 8 - 10 minutes until they start going soft.
- Stir in the curry powder and fry for a further minute or so, while stirring constantly.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, use the water to rinse off the can. Also add the tomato puree and chick peas and cook for a couple of more minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 °C fan and grease a deep oven proof dish.
- Transfer the aubergine mixture to the dish, then add the potatoes on top, covering the aubergines.
- Cut very thin slices of butter and place over the potatoes here and there.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until the potatoes go golden brown and crunchy.