1 large onion
2 cm piece of root ginger
500 g chicken breasts
2 red bell peppers
1 yellow bell pepper
400 g can of tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans (of 400 g each)
100 g red lentils
0.5 l chicken stock
2 tbsp chipotle paste
1 tsp hot chilli flakes (optional)
salt and pepper
3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel and grate the root ginger. Trim and dice the chicken.
- Wash the peppers and remove seeds and pith, then dice.
- Blend the canned tomatoes. Drain and rinse the kidney beans.
- Measure up the remaining ingredients.
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan and brown the onion, ginger and chicken.
- Stir in the peppers, tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, chipotle, chilli flakes, salt and pepper, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Check and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Looking at the comments on the Waitrose website, it seems that their chipotle paste is actually quite hot. I bought mine from a different shop and it was more sweet and smoky, but not hot, this is why I added the chilli flakes.
I decided not to bother with carbs to go with this dish - we'd been gardening all day and it was getting late and I was tired. But it was one tasty chilli, even though I forgot to turn down the heat after I covered the pan and didn't stir while it was cooking, so I ended up with a burnt layer at the bottom of the non-stick pan. I guess not that non-stick after all. I fished out what black bits I could. Still, both Lundulph and I had seconds.