4 May 2014

Healthy Chicken Chilli

Time for another recipe card and since it's been a while since we had chicken, I decided on this one from Waitrose. Do I need to mention that I tweaked it?

IMG_3963

Ingredients

1 large onion
2 cm piece of root ginger
500 g chicken breasts
2 red bell peppers
1 yellow bell pepper
400 g can of tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans (of 400 g each)
100 g red lentils
0.5 l chicken stock
2 tbsp chipotle paste
1 tsp hot chilli flakes (optional)
salt and pepper
3 tbsp grapeseed oil

Method

  1. Peel and dice the onion. Peel and grate the root ginger. Trim and dice the chicken.
  2. Wash the peppers and remove seeds and pith, then dice.
  3. Blend the canned tomatoes. Drain and rinse the kidney beans.
  4. Measure up the remaining ingredients.
  5. Heat up the oil in a large frying pan and brown the onion, ginger and chicken.
  6. Stir in the peppers, tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, chipotle, chilli flakes, salt and pepper, then cover and let simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  7. Check and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

Looking at the comments on the Waitrose website, it seems that their chipotle paste is actually quite hot. I bought mine from a different shop and it was more sweet and smoky, but not hot, this is why I added the chilli flakes.

I decided not to bother with carbs to go with this dish - we'd been gardening all day and it was getting late and I was tired. But it was one tasty chilli, even though I forgot to turn down the heat after I covered the pan and didn't stir while it was cooking, so I ended up with a burnt layer at the bottom of the non-stick pan. I guess not that non-stick after all. I fished out what black bits I could. Still, both Lundulph and I had seconds.

No comments: