24 December 2007

Gingerbread House 2007

This year we had a proper whole day of Christmas preparations - I got a new book on making gingerbread houses and the nieces got to select a design. Wisely they chose the "basic house", which turned out to be a lot more complicated than anything I've ever done before.

But we made the patterns from cardboard, the girls rolled the dough and cut out the pieces. We did make the larger parts thicker and had to bake them for 20 minutes. Also I forgot one of the house sides and we had to make it once we were half way through putting the house together. Besides the glue icing was quite runny, so we had to support the bits while it was drying.

We didn't really wait long enough before beginning the decorations and I think that contributed to the house going way crooked.



Still, we all had lots of fun and ate far too much coloured icing. I'm particularly proud of the spruces the kids made from ice cream cones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really amazing! I think the wonkiness of the house adds to the overall effect.

Those spruces are excellent too, I think you may have found some mini-Nigellas!