8 January 2007

Swedish gravy

This is the famous "brun sås" that goes so nicely with Swedish meatballs. Literally it means brown sauce.
I have a large back of powdered stuff used in restaurants and it's slightly quicker to do, so I use that, but before I got access to the powder, I used the following recipe. It is from my home economics book, which it is for one portion only. The main advantage is that it won't have any nasty E numbers.

Ingredients

0.5 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp cold milk or single cream
1 dl meat stock (= the fat from whatever meat was fried + water)
salt, black pepper, soy sauce

Method
  1. Blend all ingredients and bring to the boil.
  2. Simmer for 5 minutes, until it thickens.
  3. Ready.
This is assuming you are going to use the gravy along with the meat you fry. Now for the Swedish meatballs, they come ready made from the shop and frying them in a non-stick pan doesn't give any fat to speak of, so I'd suggest using some butter. I'll give it a go next time I make meatballs and extend this post if needed.

No comments: